If you are only going to learn to tie one tie knot, it should be the four-in-hand. It’s classic, it’s simple and always looks great.
Think of it as the bread and butter of the whole discipline of tie tying. It’s perfect for smart-casual outfits and works particularly well with a button-down collar shirt, as the final knot is rather neat. You can tie this knot with any kind of tie, although it tends to look better with slimmer, shorter varieties. Watch the video, above, and be enlightened in under a minute.
STEP BY STEP: HOW TO TIE A FOUR-IN-HAND KNOT
- Start with the wide end on the left, narrow end on the right.
- Cross the wide end over the narrow end.
- Bring the wide end behind the narrow end.
- Wrap around.
- While holding the wrapped portion, bring the wide behind.
- Bring the wide end all the way up and over.
- Thread through the loop.
- After threading all the way through the loop, tighten the knot.
- And adjust into place.